Sunday, September 14, 2008

Heartsrevolution @ Beauty Bar September 11th

Scion, the super-hip customize your own car company, has a brilliant way of getting young people to hop on their bandwagon, literally. Not only to they do they manufacture sleek looking sedans, but they host free shows, parties and film screenings in major cities around the United States. With acts like Redman, Simian Mobile Disco, and Talib Kweli, you can bet that Scion has received its share of attention. And by partnering up with Vice Records, they've managed to gain a fair amount of influence on what's hip in the music scene.

I know that when I saw that email in my inbox about a party at the beauty bar with headliners Midnight Juggernauts and Heartsrevolution, I knew it would be a good time. These things could only be better if they weren't so packed and the drinks were free. Arriving there late, as usual, I could see that the place was obviously packed with people bottlenecked at the entrance into the bar, which unfortunately was right in front of one of the speakers next to the stage at the front. Once I squeezed past gaggles of tight panted, black haired hipsters, I finally got to view Heartsrevolution, well, from behind a bunch of bobbing heads. On the microphone, a petite Asian looking girl dressed simply in shorts and a t-shirt sang, her voice anything but pretty. Her voice was loud and raw but when synchronized to the noveau 80-esque beat, made for quality club dance music that had a reliable beat and rhythm. Fans in the front were jumping up and down and I did what I could from the pack to move to the music, though it was pretty crowded and I had my elbows make me some room. Honestly, I hadn't known much of Heartsrevolution other than their catchy hit "C.Y.O.A (Choose Your Own Adventure)" which has been used in many a dance mix.
So an aesthetically pleasing Bust magazine article I found on their myspace page, I was able to read up on these guys--- a link: Heartsrevolution article

Overall, a rowdy show but not too crowded to enjoy the loud dance music and have a good time.

No comments: