Sunday, September 7, 2008

I must be hungry...


...but speaking of restaurants I wanted to bring up another place that changed my mind. Once deemed to be the home of yuppie priced tacos, I think it's safe to say that I have seen the light and the verdict is in: I love Torchy's Tacos.

Located on S. 1st street, this new non-trailer location (I think it opened less than 6 months ago) is never empty. There are always Austinites coming in, jonesing for their favorite taco. The menu includes an assortment of interesting combinations including Bre's fave, the Trailer trash taco which has fried chicken, poblano ranch, and lettuce on a flour tortilla. Haven't tried that one, though it looks creamy and delicious and obviously unhealthly but I did expand my horizons on my last visit there and decided to diverge from my breakfast taco routine. I tried the Brushfire taco with jerk chicken, cold pieces of mango on top of grilled marinated jalepenos. For a final firey punch, the whole thing was covered with Torchy's own diablo sauce, a thick orange sauce that has scorched my tastebuds on every visit (I must admit, I'm a bit of a masochist when it comes to spicy foods). Even though the tacos are considerably pricier than your average taqueria, its worth it. The fresh ingredients and portion size alone are enough to keep me waiting in line in the morning. And I'll tell you, the Brushfire filled me up, the sweet golden chunks of mango added to the savoriness of the chicken, and my mouth stung for at least half an hour afterwards. Ahhh, that's what I call a good taco.

But I'll tell you (Warning: TMI moment), the Brushfire, while a tasty experience doesn't leave you the next day quite so enjoyably. Oh, the woe of hot salsa addicts....


It was totally worth it.

No comments: