Wednesday, August 27, 2008

so FunFunFun Fest is actually fun--trust me on this one

As I was pulling my hair while taking calls at my IT job, homegirl facebooked me that the line up for funfunfunfest was up on the net. I hung up on the nasally but nice enough girl from Ithaca, and went to www.funfunfunfest.com to check it out.

"Oh hells yes," I wrote homegirl back as I read the name of one of my favorite bands, an oldie and a goodie Rival Schools. These guys are so cool, they aren't even technologically integrated with the rest of the world. Do a search on them, nothing pops up but a myspace fansite and an MTV article. Found their album in some moving junk the other day and it was a delightful blast from the past. Weird thing is that the first line of the MTV article reads,
"Born out of a hearty hardcore pedigree, the members of Rival Schools stepped to the plate with a phenomenal history and the qualities that would point towards an amazing future."

But after their first album I purchased as a freshman in 2001, they haven't produced anything since. Imagine playing a show some seven odd years after your album dropped, after the tours and all that... you have got to have some new stuff or what the hell have they been doing? Circle jerking?

Ok, that's just crude. But my excitement still stands. It's weird that even though their music is described as the composite of old school hardcore bands... Rival Schools is loud, it's some fucking rock, yeah, but Walter Schreifels actually sings and his voice is so genuine. He just yelling in tune. It's pretty.

The lowdown on funfunfunfest: It's happening in November and there will be four stages with so much music, so many bands, sounds, instruments, your ears will be leading you to a million different places all at the same time and your brain will rattle in your sweaty head, and it could be hot (Texas in November? It's possible) and you might stink, and it will be excellent.

Since Rival School isn't the only group I'm jumping too see I may have to dedicate some more entries to some other acts: Everything on Stage Four (mindless self-indulgence god do I just love to dance), maybe toss some Leftover Crack in there, and maybe a weird subliminal bit about the Tim and Eric Awesome show... though I believe they will never surpass their golden first season of utter absurdity.

No comments: