Saturday, August 30, 2008

KVRX--The Radio Station that Just Keeps on Giving

No, KVRX isn't planting trees or donating money to indigent Cambodian children so I guess I'll be more clear. KVRX is the radio station that keeps on giving to me.

I wake up early one morning this past week with a paper on my mind. A gift card to Starbucks (a place I never patronize without freeness involved) has me staring at the brakelights in front of me as I wait behind a line of caffeine addicts, zombies without their sustenance. Finally get my doubleshot something or other and what's that on the radio---Skinny Puppy? Industrial goth music at 8:30am? Immediately I'm swept off to the middle of the dancefloor at Elysium. It's a Wednesday night and I'm shoegazing, moving to the beat, and more than likely I'm half drunk.

More to the point, the variety of music on this station is AMAZING! If you don't believe me, check out the playlists posted on www.kvrx.org. I can't count how many times I've heard a tune that made me blast the shitty sound system in my Toyota Camry. The best thing about it is that you can actually find out what that catchy tune was that had you singing along or bobbing your head. It's strange how one perfectly timed song on the radio can change your whole mood---make your day just a tiny bit better.

And for all indie lovers, KVRX keeps it real. Along with the obscure, the DJ's still mix it up with new hot singles from Saul Williams, Ratatat (new LP ubiquitous in a good way), and Minus the Bear among others.

And because they give me love and other accompanying and not weird at all warm fuzzy feelings, I'll reciprocate (because I'm a fair lover) and promote their fundraiser tonight at Emo's. It's the KVRX Back to School Blow Out, a show that will help keep the radio station afloat and sailing. An all ages show, costs $7, and it appears as if a good number of bands, including headliners Ringo Deathstate, Sunset, and T-Bird and the Breaks are going to be playing. Another cool piece of information---go to kvrx.org, go to Events, click on the Back to School Show and it will take you to another cool site, www. do512.com, which will actually have links to these bands myspace pages. Best way to preview a show and get the most out of your monies!!

All right, well I'm out of love and that doubleshot something or other I just drank (still got some money left on the damned giftcard) has my brain spinning in circles. Until next time---

1 comment:

outandaboutaustin said...

Good start. Thoughtful posts. You are about three posts behind, though.