Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Fun Fun Fun Fest Vignettes

Four o' clock on a sunny Saturday, I was standing smack dab in the middle of Austin at Waterloo Park watching Octopus Project plug in guitars and Korg keyboards, arranging the tall, sheet covered ghosts that hovered behind them. As my sister and I speculated whether or not the cartoonish, happy boxes were robots, the drummer kicked off the first song and an intricate melody sprang to life. Having never seen the Octopus Project live, I was immediately impressed by the way the group intertwined all sounds-- the brash guitar, the dreamlike chime of the keyboard, the pleasurably incessant drum machine and the unfiltered energy of the drummer. When Yvonne brought out the theremin, an instrument you can play without touching, I was sold. The players embodied a constant, cheerful energy, constantly switching instruments, showing the extent of their musicianship . At the climax of the show, when the ghosts suddenly jumped to life, swaying and bouncing their little boxy heads to the beats, I was sure that for the Octopus Project, I would hide under a sheet for twenty minutes just to be on stage with them. The thoughts one has while drunk on an aurally stimulating experience.

A tiny segment I videotaped of Yvonne playing the theremin:




No comments: